The Division of Hematology at VGH is one of the most well-regarded programs in North America and is at the forefront of advancements in the battle against blood cancers and blood diseases. The Divison’s research arm– the Hematology Research Program (HRP) – is developing and testing innovative treatment options for patients. Through the HRP hundreds of British Columbians with blood cancer and disease have gained access to new, improved and potentially life-saving treatment options that would otherwise have been unavailable to them.
- One of the most comprehensive hematology divisions in North America
- The only program in BC that provides the specialized care and most progressive diagnosis and treatments bone marrow transplant patients need
- Approximately 70,000 treatments performed at outpatient clinics each year
- VGH performs about 250 bone marrow transplants annually
- About 1,500 bone marrow and stem cell transplant survivors in BC
- 1,500 bone marrow and stem cell transplant survivors in BC